Top 10 Bigfoot Sightings of the Last 5 Years

Top 10 Bigfoot Sightings of the Last 5 Years

Is Bigfoot out there? There are some people who would say so.


We assume Bigfoot crossed the road to get to the other side, as the old joke goes, but with the enigmatic hominid, nobody knows for sure. Here’s what we do know: On June 22, 2009, at around 6:30 p.m., a 19-year-old college student was driving on a curvy back road near Rhinebeck, N.Y., on the way to a rehearsal at a nearby performing arts center, according to the BFRO report. As he swerved to miss an object on the road — a shopping bag containing, oddly, an open cereal box and a small log — he glanced in his rearview mirror and saw someone or something darting behind his car, apparently to retrieve the bag.

A moment later, the student stopped and turned his car around, and got a three-to-four second glimpse of “something walking on two feet” about 50 feet (15.24 meters) away. He described the creature, which he saw from the rear and side profile, as being between 7 and 7.5 feet (2.1 and 2.2 meters) tall, covered with black hair, and possessing broad, muscular shoulders with arms that swung in an exaggerated fashion and palms that faced upwards. The witness recalled that he felt “nervous, confused, and excited at the same time” during his brief encounter.


At about 1:30 on the morning of Jan. 8, 2008, a big-rig driver was hauling a load of Idaho potatoes on U.S. I-15 near the town of Scripio, just outside of St. George, Utah. As he downshifted and headed down an incline, the fog grew increasingly heavy. The driver noticed something by the side of the road with glowing eyes, and thought it might be a deer. When he switched on his high beams, he was startled to see a gigantic creature running across the road from left to right in long strides, just 20 feet (6 meters) or so away, according an interview with a BFRO investigator.

He later estimated, based on a comparison to his truck and factoring in the distance, that the creature was at least 8 to 10 feet (2.4 to 3 meters) tall, and between 600 to 800 pounds (272 to 362 kilograms) in weight. It had black hair and big eyebrows, and long, lanky arms that were proportionately longer than a human’s. For a moment, it turned its head and stared at the rapidly approaching truck. The driver swerved hard to the middle of the freeway to avoid hitting the creature, which nearly caused the truck to crash. Fortunately, he regained control of the vehicle, but when he managed to roll to a stop 200 to 300 yards (183 to 247 meters) away and look back, the mysterious figure was gone.

The driver, an avid outdoorsman and hunter, told the BFRO investigator that he’d always been skeptical about the existence of Bigfoot, but after actually seeing one in the flesh, he’d changed his opinion. “It scared the hell out of me,” he admitted.


It was about a quarter past six on the morning of Sept. 1, 2009. A woman commuting to a job in Rifle, Colo., was feeling a little groggy on her way to work, despite her usual cup of takeout coffee. Just before she started up through Independence Pass, she decided to pull her truck over to the side of the road and get a little fresh air. As she got out of the truck, she noticed some movement in the meadow directly ahead of her. At first she thought it might be a bear, but when the creature stood up, she saw that its arms hung to its sides, just like a person.

The creature was huge and had cinnamon-colored fur, she told a BFRO investigator. And after some coaxing on the part of the investigator, she also revealed that it had an additional anatomical feature: a pair of large breasts. Prior to the encounter, the witness admitted that she had always “poo-pooed” the possibility of such creatures existing, but said, “my life is forever changed.”


At around dusk on Aug. 29, 2011, a woman was outside her new house with a litter of whippet puppies who were “going potty” when she heard a whistling sound, the sort that she makes when she’s trying to get the attention of her dogs. Thinking that it might be another of her pets, a parrot, she did a few back-and-forth whistles with the source. Then, one of her adult dogs, an Australian shepherd, woofed, and she heard a loud rustle in the nearby forest. She looked up to see a “tall hairy creature.” It was an estimated 8 to 9 feet (2.4 to 2.7 meters) tall and when it saw her, it let go of the tree branch it was holding down with its arm and stepped back into the trees.

The BFRO investigator who interviewed the witness noted that she was a former deer hunter and experienced in the outdoors, and thus unlikely to have mistaken the creature for another large animal. “I’m sure that a Bigfoot’s curiosity would be heightened by a new woman living in a previously unoccupied house and a litter full of whippet puppies,” he concluded.


On Oct. 23, 2010, at about 7:15 a.m., a deer hunter parked his all-terrain vehicle on a trail and quietly slipped into the still-darkened woods. He hoped to make it to his favorite clearing without spooking any deer in the area. As he was walking, he noticed a very large animal walking about 10 yards ahead on the trail. Oddly, while it didn’t appear to be running, the animal seemed to cover about 15 to 20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) in just two strides. It made no noticeable noise.

The hunter clicked on his flashlight. “What I saw made my hair stand on end,” he wrote in his report on the BFRO Web site. The creature was between 7 and 7.5 feet (2.1 and 2.2 meters) tall, and he estimated that it weighed around 500 pounds (226 kilograms). It was muscular and covered with dark fur, with long arms and a slightly hunched posture. “I have seen a few bears, and I know positively that it was not a bear,” he explained in his report.

The creature quickly moved down a hillside and was gone after a few seconds. It all happened so quickly that he never even thought of using the digital camera he had with him. “I used to think… that Sasquatch couldn’t exist because there would be tons of pictures,” he admitted. “But now I can see why that isn’t true.”


In the swamps of Florida, Bigfoot is known by a different name, the Skunk Ape, an apparent reference to the “appalling smell” that the creature supposedly exudes, according to the BBC. This stinky creature may have been spotted on a May morning in 2011.

According to the report on the BFRO Web site, a fishing guide was using a pole to propel a flatboat in a mangrove swamp when he and his two clients, a commercial pilot and an attorney, spotted something on the shore about 100 yards away. At first, the guide thought the creature might be a feral hog or possibly a bear. But as the boat got closer, the creature — which apparently had been rooting through the sand for fish or crustaceans to eat — turned and stood up to look at them.

The guide estimated the apparent Skunk Ape was as wide as a side-by-side refrigerator-freezer, with a muscular torso, “a ZZ Top beard” and a hairless forehead. The creature stared at them for about 15 seconds and then made “a guttural harrumph or snort” and walked away into the mangroves.


In July 2009, a worker was returning home from a deck-building job at about 6 p.m. As he drove through a wooded area near houses and a school, he noticed what at first appeared to be a man standing on the side of the road. As the car got closer, however, the “man” suddenly bolted into the woods like a wild animal spooked by human presence.

The driver slowed down and watched the creature run about 30 yards and then make a turn, which enabled the driver to get a better look at him. Unlike other reports that depict Bigfoot as gigantic, the driver reported that the creature was about 6 feet (1.8 meters) and 200 pounds (90 kilograms). He said the creature was covered with shaggy, rust-colored fur and ran with a strange “hoppy” bounding motion. “It was either real or there was a man in a VERY, VERY convincing costume,” the witness reported on the BFRO Web site.


On Oct. 25, 2010, a man was watching a movie at about 1 a.m. when he heard a noise outside his house that sounded like a long blast from a car horn or a police siren. He hit the mute on this TV and realized that the sound was more like the howl of an injured animal. He assumed that it was a bear or a mountain lion.

The next evening, a friend came to pick him up to drive to a casino at about 8 p.m. The two men had driven about 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) when they both heard the noise once again. They slowed down, and the noise stopped. They resumed driving, but then suddenly had to swerve to avoid a car ahead of them that had abruptly stopped. It was then that the two gamblers spotted what appeared to be a manlike creature at least 10 feet (3 meters) tall, covered in dark brown or black hair, with eyes that glowed from the reflection of their headlights.

“Human eyes don’t do that,” the witness explained in his report. After 20 to 30 seconds, the creature walked off with a fluid gait that definitely was nonhuman, and the two men quickly drove off in fear. They came home that evening by a different route to avoid another encounter. The witness now describes himself as a “true believer” in Bigfoot, but added: “If it’s Bigfoot or not, I don’t want it coming around my house.”


Between 8:30 and 9 p.m. on the evening of Sept. 8, 2007, a local law enforcement officer was driving to answer an alarm call on a ranch when he noticed someone or something coming up out of a ravine onto the roadside. “I thought that I might have surprised someone who might be growing marijuana in the woods, or something like that,” the officer reported on the BFRO Web site.

But when he hit the brakes and quickly backed up, his headlights illuminated what he described as a creature about 6 to 7 feet (1.8 to 2.1 meters) tall, covered with thick brown matted fur and walking upright. It had leaves and grass matted into the fur on its back, as if it had been lying down, and was moving slowly. The creature turned away from the officer and returned to the overgrowth, pushing aside small tree limbs to clear its path. It was visible for only a few seconds, but he could hear the crunching noise of its movements for a bit longer. “I couldn’t believe what I was seeing,” the officer wrote. “It was definitely something I was not gonna put out on the radio.”


You’d think that a feral, apelike creature would tread lightly around humans who are equipped to respond to a sighting with a hail of bullets. Surprisingly, though, Bigfoot seems oblivious to our puny human weaponry, as a Blackstone, Va., man and his son discovered in the early morning hours of May 3, 2011. When the two heard a loud noise outside their home, the man grabbed his pistol and the son picked up a shotgun, and they went outside to investigate, figuring that they would encounter either a burglar or a bear.

Instead, the man reported on the BFRO Web site, they were confronted by an eight-foot-tall hair-covered humanoid creature running toward them from the nearby woods. The man screamed at the creature to stop and told his son to shoot, which he did — into the air. The creature shrieked but continued running toward them, getting to within 15 feet before the pair retreated back into their house. “I was in terror,” the man wrote. He recalled that the Bigfoot had a pervasive odor that “really stunk” and left footprints that were 18 to 20 inches (45.7 to 50.8 centimeters) long. An investigator who visited the man’s farm and interviewed him documented a series of other unusual incidents, including loud wails and slaps on the side of the house at night, suggesting that Bigfoot has paid him repeat visits.

Source: Animal

David Aragorn

Featured Videos

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Around The Web